-->
loading...

MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE {SLOW COOKER}


Hot cocoa is the stuff that childhood dreams are made of. And if your childhood was anything like mine, then Swiss Miss hot chocolate was definitely a staple. Swiss Miss was perfect for my childhood, mainly because I didn’t know any better. I gave it a try a few years ago and honestly, I can’t figure out why I liked the stuff. It’s got the faintest hint of chocolate. I’m suspicious that I probably wasn’t a hot cocoa snob when I was 5. I don’t expect my hot chocolate to be a bar of chocolate in liquid form, but shouldn’t a beverage that’s got the word ‘chocolate’ in it’s title have a significant amount of chocolate in it’s contents? I think so

Mexican hot chocolate is slightly different than the traditional stuff we’re used to. I find it to be a tad bit thicker, it’s spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a hint of chili powder. Don’t worry the chili powder is no way strong enough to be spicy, it just adds a little heat. It’s comforting and cozy. The spices are meant to be subtle but add so much flavor to the chocolate.

prep time: 5 MINS
cook time: 2 HOURS
total time: 2 HOURS 5 MINS

A Mexican hot chocolate recipe that requires you to just toss everything in a slow cooker and let it all cook up. This hot cocoa is made with melted chocolate, not just cocoa powder, spices like cinnamon and a hint of chili powder. The flavor is so rich and delicious, just the way hot chocolate should be!

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup hot water
  • 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/2 can (7 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 stick cinnamon (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
  • 4 cups (1 quart) whole milk (2% or skim is also fine)

INSTRUCTIONS

Get the full instruction @ littlespicejar.com 
loading...
OpenCloseComment